MENA Salam Fellowship
(Middle East and North Africa Salam Fellowship)
“Towards a New Peaceful Coexistence”
Turkey, 13 - 17 March 2015
Due to some Security/Visa issues with the UAE legal regulations & Out of Peace Revolution's responsibility to include all MENA region countries without exceptions .. We changed the country hosting the MENA Salam Fellowship to Turkey
After the success of the First MENA Salam Fellowship that took place on 21-23 March 2014 in Marrakech, Peace Revolution would like to introduce 2015 Second Fellowship with a new mission to gather young leaders from the region for peaceful coexistence.
Are you a youth worker or peace activist from the MENA region? Are you concerned about achieving peace for your community? Are you sometimes discouraged while still want to reignite your spark to work for peace? Then this fellowship is for YOU!
In the last few years, the MENA region has been witnessing violence, revolutions, conflicts, terrorism and wars that are eventually leading to other political, sectarian, religious and economic crises. A big obstacle for peace in the region becomes that each side has different narratives without listening or understanding the other side’s narrative. People have then become influenced more by negative feelings and actions than positive ones.
Overcoming these negative vibes by achieving coexistence is a great challenge that requires deep societal change. Coexistence, in fact, is a state of mind shared by society members who recognize the rights of another group to exist peacefully as a legitimate, equal partner with whom disagreements have to be resolved in nonviolent ways. To change the nature of these relations, we need to change ourselves! As a contribution to the creation of a space of peace and coexistence in the MENA region, Peace Revolution works to restore peace through meditation and self-development as well as promoting diversity through networking and living together.
Have you ever thought how different our lives could be if we embraced our differences? Have you ever thought how peaceful our communities could be if we celebrated our diversity? Peace Revolution offers you this opportunity to peacefully co-exist with young leaders from neighboring countries who believe in adding value and meaning to each other's life through our differences.
MENA Salam fellowship seeks to promote coexistence by engaging open-minded young leaders across the MENA region and support their roles as peacemakers who can positively contribute to the region’s peace and transition. We specifically aim to:
- Promote peaceful coexistence and togetherness among MENA youth
- Strengthen the participants understanding of coexistence through the practice of mindfulness, self-discipline and compassion.
- Promote active citizenship among young people and enhance their sense of solidarity by sharing their visions to manifest tangible changes in their communities.
- Provide a forum for networking and exchange while fostering mutual understanding and intercultural dialogue
- Provide the participants with the tools to inner peace practice, self-development and meditation
The retreat will include interactive activities, meditation sessions, yoga classes, lectures delivered by the teaching monk and discussions aiming at supporting the group to work for a common future for the region.
- Full sponsoring of airfare
- Meditation sessions and lectures
- Yoga Classes
- Local transportation
- Transportation within participant’s country
- Visa cost
- Personal expenses
Nationals and residents of these countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Northern Sudan, Southern Sudan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Western Sahara and Yemen.
- Age required between 18-30 years old at the time of application submission in order to receive the airfare support.
- Completed the 21 days of the online self-development program.
- Young leaders who are actively involved in peace activities or have passion to work in peace building and coexistence within the spheres of politics, society, culture and media.
- Good proficiency in written and spoken English
- Commitment fee of 200 USD. The fees need to be paid before the arrival to the retreat site, /by Bank transfer or Western Union
- *Important Note: Those residing in the countries other than the eligible countries mentioned above will not be considered!
- Note that in order to submit the application form, candidates do not need to have completed the online self-development program.
- Smoking is not allowed during the retreat days since it is violating the 5 acts of self-discipline.
- All fellowship activities, sessions and lectures will be carried in English.
Application Deadline - 15 November 2014, before 18.00GMT (last date to apply online)
Eligibility Deadline - 8 December 2014, before 18.00GMT (last date to complete at least 21 days of the online Self-Development Program)